September 2022 – Holidays and Observations
September, fall is on its way!
Below you’ll find some (mostly US based) month, week, and daylong celebrations/observations. We picked those we think fit the content of this site. Maybe we missed some, maybe we added some you don’t think belong. Let us know!
I will be filling these in as soon as possible so you can learn more about each observance or holiday, but for now just enjoy the list.
Check out our other side, deedni, for a list of Money/Tech/Business related holidays and observations in September.
Better Breakfast Month
Blueberry Popsicle Month
Italian Cheese Month
Whole Grains Month
National Waffle Week
National, International, and World Days
- Uzbekistan – Independence Day is celebrated today, for the day Uzbekistan declared independence from the Soviet Union.
- Slovakia – Slovakia celebrates Constitution Day today. Called ‘Deň Ústavy Slovenskej republiky’ in Slovakia, the constitution was adopted on September 1st 1992 which started the process to end the state of Czechoslovakia.
- National Burnt Ends Day –
- International Cabernet Sauvignon Day –
- Vietnam – National Day in Vietnam – Ngày Quốc Khánh. This day commemorates President Hồ Chí Minh reading the Declarations of independence of Vietnam at Ba Đình Square in Hanoi on 2 September 1945.
- National Blueberry Popsicle Day –
- National Chianti Day –
- World Coconut Day –
- San Marino – Foundation Day is celebrated annually on this day in San Marino. The oldest constitutional republic still in existence, San Marino was founded by Marinus of Rab on September 3, 301. Yes, that’s 301 not 1301. Check an amazing recipe from San Marino here!
- National Welsh Rarebit Day –
- International Bacon Day –
- National Macadamia Nut Day –
- National Spice Blend Day –
- World Samosa Day –
- National Cheese Pizza Day –
- Eswatini – Eswatini celebrates Independence Day or Somhlolo Day on September 6. This national holiday commemorates the independence of the Kingdom of Eswatini, then known as Swaziland, from Great Britain in 1968.
- National Coffee Ice Cream Day –
- Brazil –
- National Acorn Squash Day –
- National Beer Lovers Day –
- National Salami Day –
- Andorra – National Day in Andorra is celebrated on September 8th annually to honor Our Lady of Meritxell, the patron saint of Andorra. Our Lady of Meritxell is a statue depicting an apparition of the Virgin Mary.
- North Korea – The Day of the Foundation of the Republic (Korean: 인민정권 창건일) is observed on September 9th. It is also sometimes known as Grand National Day or Republic Day.
- Tajikistan – Independence Day is celebrated in Tajikistan to celebrate their independence from the Soviet Union on September 9, 1991.
- National Wiener Schnitzel Day –
- National TV Dinner Day –
- National Hot Cross Buns Day –
- National Chocolate Milkshake Day –
- National Kids Take Over The Kitchen Day –
- National Peanut Day –
- National Ants on a Log Day –
- National Cream Filled Donut Day –
- National Eat A Hoagie Day –
- National Sober Day –
- Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua – Costa Rica, El Salvado, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua all celebrate their independence from Spanish rule. They declared independence in 1821.
- National Cheese Toast Day –
- National Creme de Menthe Day –
- National Double Cheeseburger Day –
- National Linguini Day –
- Papua New Guinea – Today marks Papua New Guinea’s independence from Australia in 1975.
- Mexico – September 16 is El Grito de la Independencia (The Cry of Independence) in Mexico. This holiday commemorates the 1862 victory of the Mexican Militia over the French Army.
- National Cinnamon Raisin Bread Day –
- National Guacamole Day –
- National Apple Dumpling Day –
- National Monte Cristo Day –
- International Eat an Apple Day –
- Chili –
- National Cheeseburger Day –
- St. Kitts & Nevis –
- National Butterscotch Pudding Day –
- National Fried Rice Day –
- National Pepperoni Pizza Day –
- National Punch Day –
- National String Cheese Day –
- Armenia – Independence Day of Armenia (Armenian: Հայաստանի Անկախության օրը) is the main state holiday in Armenia. This date is celebrated on September 21. The people of Armenia voted in a referendum to proclaim independence from the Soviet Union on September 21, 1991.
- Malta – Independence Day – On this day in 1964, Malta gained independence from the United Kingdom.
- Belize – Independence Day – On this day in 1981, Belize gained independence from Britain.
- National Chai Day –
- National Pecan Cookie Day –
- Mali – Mali Independence Day celebrates its hard-won status as a self-ruled nation as it gained independence from France.
- National Ice Cream Cone Day –
- National White Chocolate Day –
- Saudi Arabia – National Day – This day commemorates the unification of the various Bedouin tribes, sultanates, minor kingdoms and emirates across a large area of the Arabian Peninsula stretching from the Red Sea to the Persian Gulf. On this day the Kingdom of Nejd and Hejaz was renamed to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia by royal decree of King Abdul Aziz Al Saud in 1932. It was made a national holiday by King Abdullah in 2005.
- National Great American Pot Pie Day –
- National Snack Stick Day –
- Guinea Bissau – Independence Day – On this day in 1973 Guinea Bissau declared independence from Portugal.
- National Cherries Jubilee Day –
- Schwenkfelder Thanksgiving –
- National Lobster Day –
- National Quesadilla Day –
- National Dumpling Day –
- National Pancake Day –
- National Chocolate Milk Day –
- National Corned Beef Hash Day –
- World Tourism Day –
- National Drink Beer Day –
- National Strawberry Cream Pie Day –
- National Coffee Day –
- Botswana – Botswana Day – This day commemorates Botswana’s independence from the British in 1966.
- National Hot Mulled Cider Day –